In 2008, representatives from environmental organizations and providers recognized the need for an environmental education association.
Our mission is to “promote environmental and outdoor education to facilitate positive community impacts on the conservation and sustainability of Delaware’s resources.” Using the environment as a basis for study can improve student achievement, reduce behavioral problems, and connect students and adults to tangible, real-world topics.
A 501(c)(3) organization, DAEE is governed by a Board of 10-20 Directors, elected to two-year, staggered terms, to ensure consistent leadership:
Chair: Lisa Watt, DNREC – DNREC/Delaware State Parks
Vice-Chair: Ashley Melvin, Delaware Forest Service
Treasurer: Claire Mickletz, DNREC/Delaware State Parks
Co-Treasurer: David Pragoff, Delaware Nature Society
Secretary: Lindsay Lancaster, Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids
Angel Burns, DNREC/Delaware State Parks
Austin Conley, Delaware Museum of Natural History
David Christopher, Delaware Sea Grant / Univ. of Delaware
Suzanne French, Winterthur
Stacey Helmer, Delaware Solid Waste Authority
Connie Hendricks, The Jefferson School
Jennifer Holmes, DNREC/Delaware Coastal Programs
Todd Klawinski, Caesar Rodney School District
Lindsay Lancaster, Healthy Foods for Healthy Kids
Brian Marsh, US Fish & Wildlife Service
Martha Narvaez, University of Delaware
Penny Rodrick-Williams, Tower Hill School
If you would like to join the DAEE Board, please complete this board nomination form. The deadline is Friday, January 24, 2020.
Not interested in joining the Board, but want to be more involved? Join a DAEE committee:
- Marketing & Media Committee – Maximizes our organization’s marketing strategy and communications including the newsletter, website, and social media.
- Events (non-conference) & Program Planning Committee – Plans and implements non-conference DAEE events (behind-the-scenes tours, paddling trips, etc.), and professional development workshops.
- Membership Committee – Determines how to attract, retain, and best serve our members.
- Conference Committee – Plans and implements the annual DAEE conference.
- Finance Committee – Now that we are 501(c)(3) organization, bookkeeping is of utmost importance. This committee ensures the fiscal responsibility and well-being of DAEE.
- Strategic Plan Committee – Ensures DAEE is working toward its current strategic plan, and updates the document as needed, during its life.
- Budget Committee – Helps DAEE grow as an organization by creating monthly, annual, and multi-year budgets.
- Audit Committee – Works with an external auditor to ensure DAEE has proper financial reporting and disclosure.
DAEE is the official state affiliate of the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE).
Click here to read our quarterly newsletter.